Tuesday 31 July 2012

OFC - St Kitts and Nevis - pepper, sweetcorn and avocado salsa

Looking for food from St Kitts has just made me a bit miserable that I have no current plans to go to the West Indies.  Don't get me wrong - I am very excited about our honeymoon in Espagna (Madrid, Seville and Malaga if you're asking) but there is something pretty romantic about white sandy beaches and endless blue sea and sky.  Plus, not to be stereotypical about it, but I do like a bit of rum.

Not to worry though, it's not going to get me down for too long.  There are male swimmers on the tv after all.  And today I made my favourite thing so far of the OFC - Saint Kitts pepper, sweetcorn and avocado salsa.  Sunshine on a plate, Joe scored this 9.5/10!!
Pepper, Sweetcorn and Avocado Salsa

Now the recipe I found used a poblano pepper, which I couldn't locate.  I swapped it for a yellow bell, and added a little bit of chilli spice, which seemed to work pretty well.

Ingredients (for 2)
half a bell pepper, chargrilled so the skin comes off and finely chopped
1 avocado, chopped
one fresh corn on the cob, or 3-4 tablespoons of sweet corn, sheared of the corn
1 spring onion, finely chopped
half a lime
quarter teaspoon of cumin
tablespoon coriander
salt and pepper to taste
a splash of tabasco

1.  Put the chopped avocado, chargrilled and skinned pepper, corn and spring onion in a bowl and mash together so the avocado starts to coat the other ingredients
2.  mix in the cumin, coriander, lime, tabasco and mix.  Season and serve. 

No comments: