Sunday 4 March 2012

A Weekend Round-up - Edinburgh

I was in Edinburgh this weekend, while I left Joe to party the night away in Leeds.  For ease (and laziness), this is a round up of the weekend, minus the review of lunch at Joseph Pearce which has its own post.

On Friday night we opted for an Indian takeaway from the St John's Curry Club in Corstorphine which was a pleasant surprise.  I'm never convinced Indian food will match up to what is on offer in this area - Yorkshire is blessed with a huge number of very good Indian restaurants so we rarely have a bad experience.  But this one was very good - when the menu said spicy, it meant spicy, as my poor mother found out to her shock (I think she mistook a chilli for a green bean and had a bit of a surprise!).  I also treated the family to some home made bhajis so overall it was a good (drunken) meal.  I would particularly recommend the prawn jhalfrezi and the lamb sag gosht which had a really good sauce. 

My onion bhajis - getting better with every try!
Vegetable samosas
curry...including chicken pathia, prawn jhalfrezi and bombay began and mushroom jhalfrezi (which was also pretty special and included that sneaky green chilli!)
On Saturday night Michael and Kerstin made dinner, with Michael showing off his Italian cooking skills with a lovely seafood and mushroom risotto.  I am particularly jealous of anyone who can make a good risotto as mine is a little hit and miss, and Michael's was pretty special.  I was told the secret is a lot of white wine and possibly a risotto spoon (although they may have been winding me up about that!)  We were also treated to some lovely home made bread and salad.  Yum.  Many thanks!

Salad
Michael's Seafood and Mushroom Risotto
And my plate - a total treat for dinner

1 comment:

Chloe Martin said...

My mouth is watering looking at this Indian takeaway! LOL