Tuesday 20 September 2011

Tuesday Night Vegetarian Treats

I've had a lovely evening getting engrossed with wedding things, which has become even better with the croque en bouche competition on the Great British Bake Off (my Tuesday night guilty pleasure).  I'm hoping we might have one at the wedding, and bring a little bit of France to Scotland, so will keep you posted..!

Anyways............In my attempt to assist in Joe's marathon training, I've been trying to come up with different, healthy treats to make sure he gets the right balance of food.  Joe used to be one of these people who thought a meal without meat wasn't really a meal at all. It's taken some time but I think he's finally coming round to my way of thinking.

So step up tomatoes stuffed with moroccan quinoa, which was really good actually!  The quinoa, dried fruits and pine nuts were a good substitute for meat and the whole thing was light and tasty, if I do say so myself!

Stuffed tomato with quinoa
The stuffed tomatoes
Joe also decided that he was going to put our home grown basil to good use and make pesto for the first time.  It looked quite hard work with lots of pounding in the mortar and pestle, but the results are pretty impressive and will be for dinner tomorrow or Thursday!  I'm really looking forward to it!

Home grown basil
Grana Padano cheese
The other ingredients, ready to be pounded
Single press olive oil
Gennaro Contaldo's pesto recipe
The finished product

No comments: